My Photo
Name:
Location: Toledo, Ohio, United States

Thursday, December 11, 2008

September 24, 2004
A Delightful Form of Civil Disobedience
I find the type of civil disobedience orchestrated by the group known a “Fathers 4 Justice” nothing short of delightful. One of their members - Jason Hatch, 33 of Gloucester, England - scaled the wall of Buckingham Palace dressed as Batman.
Using what would best be described as childish pranks, Mr. Hatch and his cohorts go to great lengths to call attention to their cause; greater custody and visitation rights for divorced and separated fathers.
England, like the United States, is a country governed by laws. The concern I have for this group is that most people who witness their escapades will side with the court. The men in question will be viewed as unstable, in other words.
That would be a mistake. I have no doubt these men used every legal resource at their disposal. Legal wrangling when dealing with child custody is a maddening experience. My case is not unique.
In my naivete I played the game, thinking justice would ultimately win in a court of law. Little did I realize the court had its mind made up before I walked through the door. Although not as creative as my English counterparts, I too began a protest, and just like my English cousins I landed in jail.
Looks like my friends over the pond are having a lot more fun. No wonder it’s called Jolly ol’ England. Bravo, my friends, bravo!
So if you see a man swinging from the giant chandelier on the portico of the White House and he’s wearing a red, white, and blue Spandex jumpsuit, a pink tutu, Grougho Marx glasses, and combat boots, it’ll be me.

1 Comments:

Blogger bassist_guy said...

Maybe you should take a look at Fathers 4 Justice in the U.S. at www.f4j.com

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home